Talking about Comparison in English – This time, we will altogether learn about how to compare two things, especially the adjectives attached to those things. To make it easy to understand, this post will be divided into some points.
i want to earn a higher salary than now.
The comparative form of adjective is used to compare two things
- A car is fast. It’s faster than a bicycle.
- Your garden is beautiful. It’s more beautiful than mine.
One syllable adjective and two syllables adjectives that end with “-y” use “-er” in the comparative form
- big – bigger
- old – older
- pretty – prettier
- happy – happier
Most other two syllables adjectives and adjectives of three or more syllables don’t use “-er” in the comparative form. They use “more“.
- beautiful – more beautiful
- comfortable – more comfortable
- difficult – more difficult
- interesting – more interesting
When two things are compared to a group of three or more things, superlative form of adjectives is used.
- Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
- This is the most expensive computer in the store.
A superlative adjective is always preceded by the. One syllable adjectives and adjectives that end with “-y” use “-est” in the superlative form.
- high – the highest
- old – the oldest
- shiny – the shiniest
- easy – the easiest
Most other two syllables adjectives and adjectives of three or more syllables don’t use “-est“. They use “most” in the superlative form.
- expensive – the most expensive
- delicious – the most delicious
- boring – the most boring
Hope you can learn this material well and can master it easily. Good Luck!